Transmission Substation Superintendent
Calibrates, installs, repairs, tests, trouble-shoots, and maintains Rayburn Country Electric Cooperative, Inc.’s (Rayburn) protective relays, battery systems and ancillary equipment to ensure reliable and efficient operation of Rayburn’s transmission and substation systems including meters, instruments, electronic devices, control circuits, remote terminal units (RTUs), and automation equipment. Performs work involving a high degree of complexity, including analysis and interpretation of technical manuals, one-line electrical drawings, schematics, switch maps and diagrams. Provides technical support and training to peers, other departments, and Member systems, as necessary.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities / Knowledge
- Manages multiple priorities and works effectively in a deadline-driven environment.
- Installs, tests, calibrates, and repairs solid state, microprocessor-based protective relays, battery systems and ancillary equipment.
- Maintains records of test data, work instructions, and current status of substation relaying equipment. Supplies test results in a timely manner.
- Responsible for field maintenance activities to ensure Rayburn’s systems/facilities are operating properly.
- Analyzes and interprets one-line electrical drawings, schematics, switch maps, equipment manuals, and diagrams related to the control and protective relay systems.
- Maintains and updates installation, inspection and maintenance records for relays, batteries and other ancillary
- Gathers and retains evidence, submits reports and proactively initiates compliance related tasks in support of Rayburn’s obligations.
- Diagnose electrical and electronic problems and determine the proper course of action to complete corrective and preventive maintenance as required for the safe and efficient operation of all system protection equipment.
- Proficient at programming and connecting to communication ports within the relay and between the relay and external equipment. Tests and ensures the functionality of the communication ports and external communication equipment using test equipment and software.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the relaying field and trends within the industry. Stays abreast of current computerized relay testing procedures, including SCADA RTU applications, protocols, equipment, database development, and integration.
- Directs commissioning and testing activities in stations.
- Coordinates with appropriate authority for lock out-tag out functions, clearances, holds, etc.
- Directs field testing on all required substation equipment, including transformers, circuit breakers, protective relays, instrument transformers, battery systems and other substation equipment per compliance with the NETA/ANSI testing standards.
- Drives Rayburn vehicles and may involve exposure to live electrical hazards and inclement weather conditions.
- Subject to on-call outside of normal business hours as business needs dictate.
- Complies with all policies, procedures and confidentiality requirements or obligations, including those inherent in this position, effective as a result of employment with Rayburn.
- Timely shares complete information with others including Rayburn management and staff, contractors, and other third parties, as required.
- Timely provides Rayburn management and staff with complete reports on work and tasks performed as such reports are requested or required.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by supervisor or executive management.
Job Specifications / Skills Required
|Education:||Associates Degree in Electrical or Electronic Technology is preferred. High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.) and electric utility experience may be substituted for some educational requirements.|
|Experience:||5+ years relay technician experience|
Thorough knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
Proficient in Microsoft Office
Excellent organizational skills
Able to work effectively in a team environment; willing to assist others
Must possess and maintain a valid Class A CDL driver’s license
This position spends a majority of time outside in all weather conditions
Ability to perform repetitive motions in order to use a computer keyboard, test equipment and operate hand tools.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; open file cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.